Gaviscon can be used to treat heart burn (acid reflux) and indigestion.
The medicine forms a protective layer that floats on top of the contents of your stomach. This stops stomach acid escaping up into your food pipe. Gaviscon also contains an antacid that neutralises excess stomach acid and reduces pain and discomfort.
Gaviscon comes as tablets or liquid in bottles or sachets. It also comes as a powder for babies and children under 2 years old.
You can buy Gaviscon from pharmacies and supermarkets. Some kinds of Gaviscon are available on prescription.
- It’s usual to take Gaviscon after meals and at bedtime.
- Do not give it to a child under 12 years old, unless their doctor prescribes it.
- It’s safe to take paracetamol at the same time as, but do not have ibuprofen or aspirin with it.
- If you’ve bought it without a prescription, do not take it for longer than 7 days without checking with a doctor.
- There are different types of the product. Ask your doctor or pharmacist which one is best for you.